Wednesday, May 1, 2019

FAMTRAVELGOALS! Do it today!


FAMTRAVELGOALS! Do it today!

When you browse through different diy groups especially travel groups it’s always “barkada goals” or “barkada outing” and the likes. It’s seldom that you see posts or itineraries about family travels or even traveling with your parents (senior citizens even..). It’s a totally different experience for sure. You can’t exactly get wasted with your parents on a beach or go bar hopping in some city, walk all day and night or do some crazy activities. Boring? Not exactly. Again, traveling with parents is a whole different experience.

Love for traveling to new places started with my parents. Back then it was always with tours or with other relatives abroad who would show you around. Doing it yourself wasn’t the trend back then. A couple of years go, I started joining some barkada diy trips and then started reading about it online. Well, it sure was cheaper and you had the luxury of time to explore new places rather than being shepherd into tour buses.

It was in 2014 I decided to buy tickets for the family to go to Korea and “DIY” it ourselves. It took many weeks to plan it. I kept reading many blogs, websites and even memorizing the subway maps to make the perfect trip. It had to be perfect since my parents only had me for their “tour guide”. Our one week vacation was a success!

Changing of the Guards at Geongbokgung Palace taken in Oct 2014

My parents, sitting on a bench with my backpack (all travel essentials)

Then the next trip was in 2015 and this time it was Japan...during Cherry Blossom Season! Was I excited? Yes, definitely! Were my parents excited? Of course they were! But to do it “DIY” again was a huge challenge on my part. We visited different cities and took subways and trains most of the time. It probably took me many weeks this time to make sure that this trip will go without any hiccups. I’m very happy that it was as a success as well and got to visit all the places I wanted to see.

With ze parents in Osaka taken in end of March 2015

International diy trips are challenging since of course being in a foreign land makes it daunting and you’re not used to the surroundings. All the more if you get lost, now that’s a nightmare. I have to make sure that we won’t get lost, I have access to maps or the latest apps that would help us in our travel. Since both my parents are already senior citizens, they don’t have time to google, check itineraries, maps or apps. It’s all on me, their little tour guide.

I don’t know if going on travels made us much closer, I guess it did. But traveling will always make us learn new things around us: the new technologies, culture and food. Truly, when one travels, one learns more about the world. That’s what my parents taught me when I was younger. They didn’t say it outloud but they showed it to my by bringing me to new places when I was a child even up to when I was a teenager.

They were patient with me and now it’s my time to be patient with them. Meaning more walks meant more rest periods. If a place was difficult for them then I would go to it alone and then come back for them. Usually, they would wait for me somewhere like a coffee shop or some small cafe. They didn’t mind and I would show them the pictures I took.

Sometimes, i would push them to go to some places where it was sort of difficult just because they really needed to see it. It’s up to you to decide whether your parents can endure the walk or hike. Or maybe just persuade them, walk slowly, take more rests until you reach the destination. All it takes is a little push, some persuasion, nagging and reasoning. I mean, once you’re already there might as well explore the place. Think of the effort of taking the plane, riding the bus...what’s a little walk compared to the travel of getting there?




Long, somewhat difficult path down to Antelope Canyon. April 2019
Truly breathtaking once you’re inside the Canyon. April 2019

Monument Valley. It was nice according to them...still not many have been there. April 2019.

It’s enough for me that my parents enjoyed the places I’ve taken them on our diy trips. No thanks are necessary. I’m just glad the trips we made were made. Sure, there maybe some disagreements but that can’t be totally avoided. Some places they liked and some didn’t. But, deep inside I knew they liked the overall trips that I arranged. It helps if you have a lot of energy and then it rubs on to them to make them feel young for the moment and have the effort to explore new places.

It’s not always barkada goals to have in mind but family goals as well. Do it today if you can. It doesn’t have to be always international trips. You can even start with a local beach trip. After all, your parents have you to take them to places they’ve never even dreamed of going to without you to do it all. Trust me, they will have the best time.

1 comment: