Sunday, July 5, 2015

Japan Spring Time 2015: Day 7



Day 7
The exciting part of going to Tokyo for me was getting to ride the Shikansen. For me, the Shinkansen is one of the greatest modern machines invented. It can run more than 230km/h, getting you to your destination in half the time than the regular train.

One of the Shinkansen trains in the station



There are different types of Shinkansen trains depending on the speed. The one we took was the Nozomi train. It will take you about less than 2 ½ hours from Kyoto going to Tokyo.

Our Nozomi Shinkansen Train



6:00 AM
Wake-Up
7:00 AM
Breakfast then Leave Hotel

Go to Kyoto Station
8:45 AM
ETA Kyoto Station
9:05 AM
Ride Nozomi Train to Tokyo

Inside the Nozomi Train, the seats are spacious as I can still put my big luggage in front of me. There’s also an electrical outlet below the window so you can charge your devices. We reserved our seats on the left side of the train, hoping to see Mt. Fuji. The weather that day was not good; it was raining, cloudy so there was no chance to see the snow-capped mountain. L I checked the forecast for the next few days in Tokyo and saw that the day after tomorrow, the day we were set to go to Mt. Fuji, will be raining. I checked with my parents when we arrived in Tokyo that we can see the Mt. Fuji the next day instead, as the weather was much better.



11:30 AM
ETA Tokyo
Buy PASMO Cards


We weren’t able to buy the IC cards back in Osaka. So this time in Tokyo, I bought the IC Card Pasmo Card. A reloadable card for subways plus you’ll get a refund when you return the card. The initial load to buy the card is Y5,000. To know more about PASMO, please visit their website:
http://www.pasmo.co.jp/en/buy/

Pasmo Vending Machine

About Tokyo’s vast subway system, we used Hyperdia to check the train schedules, transfers and stations to get to our destinations.

Tokyo Station is a huge station, well for me it was. The station was very busy; you could see people walking quickly getting to their desired platform. Also, there were a lot of tourists as well, looking at signboards or any information boards, just like I did. It was quite gloomy when we got to Tokyo.  Going back to my conversation with my parents about the plan for Mt. Fuji, we went straight to Shinjuku Station. I reserved tickets for the Shinjuku Highway Bus for the day after tomorrow, but the weather will be rainy. So I decided to check if the Shinjuku Highway Bus has available tickets for tomorrow. Sadly, they said it was fully booked.



We had our lunch at the nearby KFC restaurant. I researched if there was any alternative by subway or train to get to Mt. Fuji. We can take a JR Train from Shinjuku to Otsuki, and then transfer to another train going to Fujikawaguchiko Station, jump-off point to see Mt. Fuji. So I bought our JR Tickets at their Shinjuku Ticket Office. We booked the reserved seating which we could have the option of free seating, less expensive, however, it wasn’t offered to us and I didn’t know about it. :|

After buying our tickets we went to Sakura Hotel Hatagaya for our accommodation. It was one bedroom with 1 double bed and 1 single bed. I took the corner room as they said it was much bigger. In reality, it was only good for 2 people but nonetheless, we just needed a place to sleep.

To know more please visit their website: http://www.sakura-hotel-hatagaya.com/


2:30 PM
ETA Sakura Hotel Hatagaya

Check-in
3:00 PM
ETD Harajuku via Meiji-Jingumae Sta.

Map to Sakura Hotel Hatagaya: http://www.sakura-hotel-hatagaya.com/location.php
map from Ikebukuro Sta.
This the map from the website, this is via Hatagaya Station

My Mom wasn’t feeling better that afternoon, so me and my Dad explored the Harajuku District

Entrance to the Meiji Shrine Grounds

Barrels of Sake as offering to the shrine
Meiji-Jingumae Sta. is near the entrance of Meiji Shrine. On the way to the shrine, is like a big park in the middle of the city. It was cold and somewhat drizzling that afternoon.

Meiji Shrine

Meiji Shrine area


And right next to Meiji Shrine is Yoyogi Park. Most of the leaves have fallen so there was not much to see, also it was very cold that day. 

Fountain at Yoyogi Park

Leaves haven't fallen yet

I planned to go shopping at Takeshita-Dori, and since we’re in the district where all things cute and anime clothing, Lolita, cosplay and what not I decided to stroll some more of this famous street.

Entrance to Takeshita Dori 

Lots of people!!!

Cosplay store

Stylish pirate costume


Takeshita-Dori is just outside of the JR Harajuku Sta.

I bought some cute socks and this mary jane-ish shoes then we went home.
The whole afternoon was spent on visiting Meiji Shrine, Yoyogi Park and Takeshita-Dori.
I hoped that the next day the weather will be much better since we were really looking forward to see Mt. Fuji. :)

Expenses:
Food: Approx Y1,500/person
Pasmo Card: Y5,000/person
JR Ticket to Otsuki:  Y2,770/person (Reserved seating)
Sakura Hotel Hatagaya: Y53,600 (4 nights for 3 people)
Shopping: Approx Y3,000  



No comments:

Post a Comment